First of all.. wa try to use proper Bahasa Melayu and proper English in this post. Please note that 'proper' means understandable or preferred by the old people ~ who used improper language/slang previously which described as improper by fathers/older people/older generation before them. I want to be young till I die ~ trying hard learning current generation lingo.
I live in Malaysia. I love Malaysia. I am Malaysian. As Malaysian, we pay taxes in various ways. These taxes will be use by the Government to serves 'us' as Malaysian.
Since I'm in IT industry, here's my observation...
Government wasted a lot of 'our' money investing in commercial software where there's alternative free open-source software.
Some screen-shots.. (old Ubuntu version)
Some screen-shots.. (old Ubuntu version)
Just started - after bootup.. my Desktop
File browser (detailed view)
My Profile in PDF created with OpenOffice
I use GIMP for photo editing!
I can do 3D Modeling in Blender. I love 3D!
Other 'Demo or tutorial' in Blender - Wireframe (not my work)
Another that 'Demo or tutorial' - Textured and realtime!
Wasting on Operating System on each INDIVIDUAL thousands/millions of PCs
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc. is a commercial operating system alternately the government can use Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora or any other flavor).
- Reason 1: It can run any office related application ~ except some most Windows games.
- Reason 2: Real plug-and-play on most hardware ~ no driver required! Really! Try it!
- Reason 3: Most key-in job/point-of-sales counter are using web based application on LAN (Local Area Network)
- Reason 4: All DOS based software can run on Linux ~ try DOSBOX (DOS emulator)
- Reason 5: Most Windows based software ~ and some Windows game can run on WINE (Windows Emulator)
- Reason 6: Linux read/write Windows files (NTFS/FAT32/etc) Windows cannot recognize Linux file system (without permission).
- Reason 7: Extremely fast security updates/fixes. Report the crucial bug/loophole now. The fixes will come out few hours later (depending on how critical it is)
Wasting on Microsoft Office on INDIVIDUAL thousand/millions of PCs
- Alternately, the government can use OpenOffice! For free ~ of course!
- Reason 1: It's small/highly optimized.
- Reason 2: As good as Microsoft Office ~ or maybe better!
- Reason 3: Can open/save as Microsoft Office file. and others...
- Reason 4: Portable!
Wasting on other software.
- Photoshop alternately theres GIMP. I was Photoshop user before! But now, I love GIMP!
- 3D software sucah as 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, etc. I used that before too. Now I love Blender. Some people says that Blender Render not as nice as those commercial software ~ Maybe they haven't missed LuxRender or Yafaray or any other Open-Source renderers.
- Visual Studio alternately, there are CodeBlock, DevC, Notepad++, and much-much more others..
- Languages and compilers... there are damn a lots of open-source free compilers out there - depending on what kind of license (GPL/BSD/etc) depending on the organization requirement. READ it!
- Maybe in the future Adobe Flash will fall in this 'wasting' category when HTML5 come out.
- ..and finally, wasting on outsourcing software/system development USING commercial/strict-ed tools/hardware/etc.
Open-source ~ bad for government's contractors/companies if they..
- ..wants to dominate future projects.
- ..them and only can troubleshoot/maintain the current system.
- ..are not technically up-to-date (those higher rank positions) who wants to make a lot of money for them self by giving minimum pay for the technical employees.
- ..prioritize on 'pleasure/leisure' (karaoke/girls/etc.) ~ Technical person wont enjoy these as much as compared to receiving new source-code, gadget integration modules and technical documentations.
Open-source ~ benefits to government and the rakyat (people).. and everybody!
- There are ~ free documentation, tutorials, optimization tips and tricks, how-to ~ download-able media such as PDFs, videos, text, graphics, etc. to whom who really wants to learn.
- Some tutorials can be bought with minimal cost.
- Trainings are very cheap. Get the individual ~ engaging companies will increase overhead! You have to pay the CEO, COO, CFO, etc.
- Money received by deserved person ~ customizer, trainer, modder, programmers, installer, troubleshooters, consultant, etc.
- Encourage learning!
- More knowledge for everybody = more new knowledge we can get = more productive! eg: a user stuck with 1 problem, he can just ask a friend in the next cubicle. The problem can be solve within less than a minute and he can continue tackling other difficult problems.
- User can choose either to distribute/share his/her open-source (with source-code) or don't have to distribute by using it internally (his modified version) ~ open-source is not Communism!
- The government/user can simply terminate non-performing/bad-supporting suppliers/vendors.
As my contribution, I am willing to give assistance/consultation for free to new open-source users especially Malaysian Government. Just contact me (in the comment box). Lets try sacrificing few bucks to save millions of Malaysian money!
I guess.. that's all for now..